Sunday, March 9, 2008

Berkeley take out joints - India Palace and Tuk Tuk Thai

So, we occasionally like to not cook, but not get all dressed up for a multi course meal. Enter the takeout meal.

India Palace
So, this place is a pretty large restaurant on the corner of University and Oxford in Berkeley, that we order delivery from probably about once a month. We have also gone to the restaurant and ordered food to go. And in so doing, were the only people in this huge place! We've also had friends who report the same thing. Now normally, this would send up a huge red flag for me - why is no one eating there?!? However, I think (I hope!) they do a rockin' delivery business, because otherwise, I'm sensing their closing will be near.

Anyway, we started ordering from them because...Indian food? Delivery? Areyoukiddingme? We can get Indian food about two blocks away, but that's closer to Indian fast food, kind of McDonalds quality (it'll do in a pinch though, don't get me wrong!) India Palace is a definite step up from that, but it also isn't the best Indian food to be had around here. However, for some decent food that comes to my door in about thirty minutes, I do not complain.

We enjoy their Chicken Pasanda, the Lamb Vindaloo, the Prawn Curry, and the Shahi Korma (avoid the Tikka Masala - butter anyone?) Honestly, the meat in the dishes is usually tender but isn't the best quality in the world BUT the sauces and curries that the meat comes swimming in outshines everything else. When we're done with the meat in the dishes, we save the sauces and put them on meat we make, or simply pour them over rice to eat plain. They're that good.

With delivery, you can buy three entrees, and get one free or get two free naan with $20 purchase. For us, we prefer the free entree deal because we don't love their breads. Plus, with four entrees (getting one free), usually one naan and some rice, the bill usually comes out to about $45, which sounds steep for delivery. But, Dan and I can easily have at least 6 meals from that one order! Not too shabby.

By and large, I feel like you just have to have realistic expectations. Best Indian food ever? Nope. Worst Indian food ever? Absolutely not. Good solution to a weekday night when we're exhausted and want to watch movies and eat in our PJs? Not only good, but perfect.

Tuk Tuk Thai
We have both eaten in the restaurant and ordered food to go from Tuk Tuk and have greatly enjoyed both of the meals we've had. Honestly, I don't really remember everything we had when we ate in because we had a TON of food - appetizers, soups, salad, entrees, desserts, oh my. But I do remember leaving stuffed and feeling like I had just had quite the delicious meal. My friend got their duck curry - the meat was tender, the vegetables were fresh, and the curry was savory and creamy. I recall stealing several bites. Someone else got pineapple friend rice which came as a heaping mound of rice actually in half a pineapple. I also had their mango and sticky rice which was good, but I could have used a little bit more coconut milk on top. The restuarant is pretty big, but does have the feel of a cafeteria - high ceilings, TVs, chrome, open kitchen (which I prefer) but there is an old rickshaw right in the entrance, which makes for fun pictures for some. Quick note - avoid the bathrooms. So, if you're looking for ambiance, this might not be the place. However, they are open late (1:30/2 AM) and it's relatively cheap.

When we went back for takeout, I ordered the pumpkin curry. It comes in the same sauce as the duck curry, but with lots of veggies and big chunks of pumpkin. I've been trying to get Dan to go back with me simply for this dish. It's going to happen soon, don't you worry.

Again with the realistic expectations - is it truly authentic Thai food? Probably not, although I am not the best judge, and some friends and peers have told me that it's not totally lacking. Is it better than some other Thai places around Berkeley (i.e. Thai House, Thai Basil)? Oh my, yes. Will I be back again for the curry? Repeatedly.

No comments: